FLYERS are children who have tried to make up their own music and who would like to receive teaching and help to to learn new composing skills. We are looking for keen, enthusiastic young people, who love music and who are ready to work hard with online teachers to improve their musical ideas.
Anyone who is of school age anywhere in the world can apply to become a FLYER! Just send an email to Sam (our support manager) at admin@cicompositionaward and this will ‘set the ball rolling’!
FLYERS will work with excellent music composition teachers,either in their own countries or online. In July 2019 they will be able to enter their pieces for the Composition Award via an easy online application process.
A shortlist of 10 compositions written by FLYERS will be announced on the 23rd September 2019.
The 10 shortlisted FLYERS will have some exciting opportunities!
- Each shortlisted FLYER will be asked to compose a new piece for a group of professional musicians called The Dionysus Ensemble and performed in a special concert in London (UK).
- Shortlisted FLYERS and their winning pieces will be promoted on an international website.
- Each of the 10 young people will receive-one-to–one mentoring via Skype with a selected professional composer for two months.
The concert will take place in December 2019 in London. All 10 new pieces by shortlisted FLYERS will be performed.
One FLYER will be selected as our first-ever International Winner. They will receive:
- A PROFESSIONAL COMPOSITION TEACHER – either in their own country or online, and free composition lessons for 1 year.
- A COMMISSION to write a piece for a special event, either for Commonwealth Week or for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings (CHOGM) 2020.
- A CASH PRIZE to help fund the commission.
- PUBLICITY AND PROMOTION as the overall winner on the Composition Award’s international website.